Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Songs of the Heart

Music has a way of infiltrating our souls...calling out to something deep within us.  It is akin to magic, the ways in which we resonate with one another and God. 

There is quote about friendship that goes something like, "A friend is someone who knows the song of your heart and will sing it to you when you have forgotten the words."  The songs of our hearts are some of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard, from those who invite to listen to them.  I am always astounded at the trust that others put in me to hold and learn the songs of their hearts, for I know how hard it has been for me at times to share my own song with another.  It is a frightening thing to let our songs fly forth into the world.  For there are those, who for many different reasons, may squander the gift of the songs we sing.  There are, however, people to whom our song arrives and finds a home.  This gift is indescribable!  How can we begin to understand the ways in which our hearts speak to one another...reason, I'm afraid has yet to explain it.

I think of these songs tonight because I had the opportunity to sing for a friend today--her song of joy and hope.  Reminding me of the times that she too has sung my song to me.  How easily we can lose the rhythm and cadence of our heart-songs for the sake of dreams and worries and doubts and busy-ness...

I wonder at my feeble attempt here to honor the joy and gratitude I feel for those who know my song because I have shared it with them and for those who so desire to know my song that they seek it out.  Sort of like Ariel in "The Little Mermaid," our songs define us, reach out to the ones we love and draw them to us.  As all the songs begin to mingle together there is a new sort of harmony.  A holy choir that sings with such passion and hope that it changes the world simply by being heard. 

When I am not sure of much, which seems to happen an awful lot...I am sure that the songs sang for me and by me are filled with the truth of God's love for all creation.  That God's song reaches out and draws us closer.  As we grow in likeness to God we too begin to sing a song of such powerful and amazing love that it changes us and the world around us. 

Thank you to all those who know my song and sing it when I have forgotten the words.  And thank you to those who entrust to me the holy task of learning to sing your songs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment