Thursday, August 5, 2010

Who is the "church" for?

I have been thinking lately...who is the church for? Lots of times people talk about going to church, being the church, and doing church. So sometimes we talk in terms of location, time, worship opportunities, service in the community, living the Gospel individually, etc.

As I drove into town yesterday I wondered who the church exists for? Do we as Christians participate in church worship, activities, educational opportunities for ourselves or for others. If we look at the larger church throughout the world does it serve the needs of "members," people on the inside, or does it serve all people in need? I believe that it is a little bit of both, because the things that help people grow in faith are often found within communities that teach, disciple, and care for the people inside so that they are able to serve others. It seems very easy for any of us to get stuck on one extreme or the other...maybe I just enjoy spending time with my small group friends so I make time to see them but I don't spend a lot of time taking what I have learned and putting it into practice in tangible ways of caring for the people who are suffering around me. Or maybe I do a great job of volunteering at the local soup kitchen, building relationships with people but I find that making time to attend a bible study or develop my individual faith is difficult to do.

One without the other just doesn't make sense. I mean why learn about a Savior whose life models care and compassion for the outcasts and the most vulnerable people in society but not find ways to serve the people in your own neighborhood who need care and compassion? And then what do you do when you find yourself connecting with people where you spend time caring for people but you aren't able to talk to them about the beliefs that have brought you there to begin with?

So then who is the church for if it teaches and empowers, cares and challenges, and lives as Christ did...I believe it is for everyone.

If that is true, then how do we live as people of community and people in community? How do you do it?

No comments:

Post a Comment