Thursday, August 19, 2010

Living in a Garden

So I love quotes! I picked up a book at the Library The Indiana Book of Quotes by Fred D. Cavinder. As I perused the pages I found this gem of a quote by Frank McKinney (Kin) Hubbard..."In order to live off a garden, you practically have to live in it."

It struck me that the truth of the matter in most things in life--if we want something we have to live it. Most things do not pan out if we just dip our toes into to check it out. You have to jump in and start swimming! So it occurred to me that as we work to build a community of faith on the southside of Indianapolis we cannot just dip into the neighborhood and the vision of our community. We had to jump in, feet first, and starting living this community with all that we are. Some times that seems a scary prospect because our values and vision are broad and ambitious. On the days when living this life can feel overwhelming I remember that I am not the one who has to make this vision come true, but God who has created everything will see this through.

If we live into the vision that Christ puts before us: a world where the hungry are fed, the naked clothed, the homeless welcomed home, the sick comforted and cared for, the orphaned hugged and loved by family...what might we see change in the world around us? While the big gestures and powerful words of a few can inspire and challenge us to see a brand new world...I prefer to take baby steps in the direction of Jesus. I may not always be able to see things come together and change the whole world but I can by living into Jesus way see change happen little by little in the lives of the people I care for. I am sure that I will find love in places that I never expected to be and peace in places known for violence and generosity in the midst of tremendous greed. Because life isn't always about changing the whole picture but about changing our part in it. What live off of, is what directs our lives. If we live off the way of Jesus; of compassion, peace, love and hope then our lives will reflect and embody those things as they direction us deeper into relationship with God and one another!

So to live off love, you have to live it!


No comments:

Post a Comment