Tuesday, December 7, 2010

A New Life

Yesterday I met Phoebe, my friends' newest family member.  She is beautiful and while I held her and waited for a bottle I wasn't surprised that she cried.  She was hungry and I wasn't helping her out.  Babies do not distinguish between needs and wants, they don't struggle with their needs in relation to the needs of another; they simply ask for (cry) what they need until someone answers.  As we get older it seems that some of us forget that we are allowed to have needs and some of us forget that our needs may not always be top priority.  There is a balance here between recognizing our needs and our wants.  I often wonder just how I can get so distracted by things in my life that are pretty insignificant when I believe they are needs.  Upon reflection I am pretty sure that my needs are minimal and so is my gratitude.  So there I was holding this brand new life, and I realized that in the presence of such possibility I had forgotten the things in my own life which had been so important in the car.  Somethings just serve to distract from our vision, and in no way giving us energy for the future.  What things get in the way of your vision?  Do you ever feel like you can't see the forest for the trees?  What helps you clear the view?      


As I marveled at how small she was and how amazing it is that we participate in creation in such a wonderful way, it reminded me that building a community is similar.  We start small, with tremendous needs and amazing possibilities.  It is in the beginning that we have all the energy of new life and all the possibilities of clean blackboard.  What do we want to see?  How will we accomplish the things that God is calling us too?  Who will join us?  In any new life there are lots of questions and hopes--I believe that if we live into our dreams we may find that God has been giving them to us and will continue to see them through.  There are lots of things to do and many things to try and if we leave distractions behind we may be able to celebrate the amazing life we have in these precious beginning moments!  


In a season of preparation for the coming of the Christ Child, it seems right to see the world with wonder and amazement! May you also find new life in your daily living and be reminded of the love that God has for you in each and every wonderful moment!  

No comments:

Post a Comment